Australian Author Month: Melissa Gijsbers

August 15, 2015



Melissa Gijsbers



My name is Melissa Gijsbers and I’ve wanted to be an author ever since I was in High School. I won some awards in year 11 & 12 and English was one of my best subjects, however, back then, Creative Writing wasn’t an acceptable career path. (Wow, I sound old saying that!) Instead, I went to uni to study journalism.

As it often does, life got in the way, and I had to go to work full time, then took time out to have my two gorgeous boys. My creative writing journey was put on hold, but I was still writing.

Around 2006, I started my first blog. The earliest blog post I still have is from 2008. Since then, I have blogged on a number of topics, from business to writing to parenting to whatever else I felt like. I have also written articles for a variety of websites.

In 2011, I started writing fiction once more, starting with a series of flash fiction as well as dusting off some of the children’s book manuscripts I’d written in high school. I joined the 12×12 in 2012 and the Chapter Book Challenge that same year, rediscovering my love for writing fiction, especially for children.

Now I write a variety of different genre including picture books, novels for children, flash fiction, blogs, and non-fiction.

In 2014, I had 3 flash fiction pieces published in Teapot Tales: a collection of unique fairy tales, 3 stories in Jingle Bells: tales of holiday spirit from around the World, and two stories in Tales by the Tree: a collection of holiday flash fiction. This is just the beginning.



Five Fast Fun Facts about Melissa..

1. I was a missionary kid, like Sam in Swallow Me, NOW!, living in Nepal for 3 years

2. I don't like the taste of coffee, but I do like the smell


3. We have a pet blue tongue lizard called Jazz


4. I have wanted to be an author ever since I was a kid, my dream came true last year


5. I read Gone with the Wind when I was in year 7!


Where to find Melissa...

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Blog


 "Swallow me, NOW!"



All Sam wants to do is to fit in at her new school.

Feeling alone, and desperately trying to find her place in the world, she concocts an AMAZING story -
BUT it backfires on her, and she becomes known as the ‘Evil Genius’s Daughter!’ 

Can her life get any worse?






Where to find "Swallow me, NOW!"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O92Q3OW

You can also get a signed copy direct from Melissa's website

Giveaway
(Within Australia Only)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram