Book Review: "Coyote Hunger" by Rhian Cahill

July 07, 2015



Coming home was never going to be easy for Rowan Wilder, but after six years she didn’t think it would be this hard. First she can’t control her inner coyote, then she has to deal with her mate and the madman out to get them both. Determined to take her rightful place in the pack, Rowan must face each hurdle and succeed. To fail could mean losing her life.

Quinn MacClellan is more than ready for the return of his mate and he’ll do anything to keep her safe and by his side. He couldn’t protect her years ago, but things are different now and he won’t let anything or anyone separate them again. Together they’ll confront all obstacles and ensure the future they both deserve.

Genre: paranormal romance
Length: 105 pages

Coyote Hunger is the first book I’ve read by Aussie author Rhian Cahill. It’s a coyote shifter story, a genre that I don’t read too often although I do love a good shifter story. It’s about  Rowan and Quinn, a mated pair of coyote shifters who have lived apart for the last six years. This is very much a character-driven story with all the focus being on Rowan’s return to the pack after her forced exile. 

Looking over other people’s reviews, I found this was the best way to describe the book: it’s like walking into a cinema halfway through the movie. After a bit of research, I discovered that there was prequel called Coyote Run. If you’re going to read this book, I highly recommend reading the prequel first. I spent a bit of time trying to catch up to the plot which, I feel, detracted from my overall reading experience.

The overall plot has a lot of potential, but as I said before, this is a character-driven story, so I was left waiting for more to happen. The first half of the book is about Rowan readjusting to her life back with her pack, and the second half about the ‘bad guy’ stirring up trouble. I would have liked to have seen more development with the plot, leading it into the second book.

The main characters’ relationships with each other are definitely strong. Even though six years had passed, Quinn is just as devoted to Rowan as he’s ever been. Having her back in his life is like being able to breathe again and that love and devotion definitely come through in their actions. Like any good paranormal romance, the sex scenes are pretty hot and steamy, although they did seem to dominate the story a little more than usual.

Coyote Hunger ended a little too quickly for me. I felt as if everything had just happened within the space of about two hours, and all the loose ends had been tied up, but I still felt like I was missing something. I wanted to know more about their world and what makes a coyote shifter tick. I wanted to know more about the primary and secondary characters, but that simply didn’t happen. I wanted to be swept away by the plot. Unfortunately, this didn’t occur, either.

The overall writing style and story-telling was good, but there was potential to be so much better. I’d be interested to see what else Cahill comes up with the next book. 

  About Rhian...

Rhian Cahill is the alter ego of a stay-at-home mother of four. With motherly duties rapidly dwindling, Rhian is able to make use of the fertile imagination she used to keep herself sane for all those years of slavery. Having spent some years living overseas and visiting tropical climates has helped inspire some steamy stories. Multi-published in erotic romance and contemporary romance, Rhian, with the help of Mr. Muse, spends her days and nights writing. When not glued to the keyboard, you’ll find her, book in hand, avoiding any and all housework.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram